Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sweet Love - Start to Finish

I began this layout without even beginning a layout! 

Hubby was in the studio sewing a kite (more on that another time) and I went in there to hang out with him. Without a layout going or an idea for one, I started futzing around. 

I hope you will join me....

Let's grab a scrap piece of watercolor paper and scribble some Gelato dots:
After smudging them with my finger, I add some black watercolor crayon to the edges and blend with a baby wipe:
I repeat that again with some green, and am liking the direction I am headed. Let's forge on with a mask and some mist:
Nice extra layer and dimension:
Let's grab my favorite and trusty Pitt Pen and do some doodling:
I like it! But, now I am wondering what to do with this fun little experiment.... How can I push this further? Perhaps some patterned paper punched out and placed on the dots will pull things together nicely:
Oh, yes indeed! I chose this particular pattern paper due to the colors and the graphic similarity to the stencil design:
I sprinkle some more mist and while that dries, I figure its time to see what I can do with an actual layout:
I grab the rest of the papers that coordinate with the previously chosen pattern (Crate Paper's Paper Heart) and decide to repeat the mist and mask in green to give a tone-on-tone effect:
Oh, I likey!
The remnants from the dot punches seems to play nicely on that, so let's grab a couple of other patterns:
I love throwing in something unexpected that didn't come with a collection and I quite like the subtle white dot pattern from Basic Grey, so that finds it's way onto the page. A quick look through my photo box and I spot this sweet pict of my oldest daughter when she was a little one. And look - the pinks and greens on white will work famously! It's like I planned it - tee hee :)
OK, back to my earlier experiment. I can't seem to make the solid piece work with what I now have going on in the LO, so I will treat it like a patterned paper and cut it down:
Well now, that is somewhat interesting:
Perhaps some vertical strips to balance out the horizontal?
I am liking that...
Time to embellish. I would like to add in some more black and white, but also want to keep the loose and free-form feel, so I grab my twine and come up with this:
It needs a friend, so a smaller one finds it's way to the page:
But, now I need a pop of color and some more circular elements:
And a constructive critique from my little girl:
I tuck the circles around in a triangular pattern:


Now I am thinking that an unexpected pop of blue might be fun, but I am not sure this is right:
Hmmmmm.....
I have to think about that, so let's move onto the title. Out of the chipboard accent sheet for this collection, I only have a few pieces left and these LOVE blocks happen to be one of them. Perfect!
I like that title element, so I go back to messing with the blue and play with a solid paper that I have doodled on:
After some pondering, I end up settling on a slightly lighter version of the blue:
I finish off the title with some simple letter stickers in pink to tie in the colors of the floral paper:
Pen lines, ink splatters and journaling complete, I call it done!
It's so relaxing just to "play" with no expectations. I had fun and hope you had fun watching.

I began The Curious Scrapbooker's Field Guide Class with May Flaum yesterday, so you can expect to see some new start to finish layouts with lots of different experiments in the coming weeks! Also, be sure to follow me on twitter for updates on class and my blog postings.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope to see you again soon!


19 comments:

  1. Amazing layout. I love how much you play around with creating your own background and papers. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great. I love all the different textures you have going on. That mist stuff looks like a lot of fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you have so much fun playing around, and then have a gorgeous page at the end of it all! Looking forward to seeing how you use May's class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome LO~enjoyed watching your process!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic layout! I love how you show the step by step each time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful layout! I loved seeing your process...thank you for taking the time to show it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so beautiful and you're oh so creative! Love the layout!

    And please let us in on the "kite sewing" story lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! LOVE this page!!! SO wonderful that you took us on each step - very helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. how fun. it turned out really lovely. reminds me of watching christy tomlinson how you just keep adding and adding bits and it all turns out in the end. i usually get scared and end up stopping...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Love her - so sweet of you to say that!

      Delete
  10. I love this and love your process... Awesome and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! You rocked this layout. I always love the way you show how you put your layout together.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you everyone for such amazing comments!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, it's so cool to see the layout from start to finish. And it turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning layout. Loved to see your work in progress.
    You are so freeing, I am envious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...