Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Quote - Start to Finish

This Layout started out simply enough. A fun picture of my daughter wearing her bathing suit in the snow, along with a great quote in attempt to play along with the CHA challenge at Two Peas. It quickly took me on a wild ride as it became a life of it's own! Let's take a look at the adventure...

After trimming down my photo, and selecting background paper, I was off to a pretty good start:
Time to add the quote: "A sweater is what you wear when your mother is cold." My cousin Mary always says this, although I'm not sure it originates with her. But, I do love it, and think most mothers can relate. I had a vision of it filling the entire page as I knew it would be the focus of the LO and not a specific title:
I don't have an electronic die machine, nor did I want to use an entire pack of letters on one layout, so I decided to go with my own handwriting. Silly me. After sketching the title out in pencil, I painted on a base of white:
I added a bit of washi tape to act as a background for the photo:
Then, I decided to put some of my watercolor pencils to work:
A baby wipe made a great blending tool without getting the paper too wet:
Once blended, I wanted to add some definition to the lettering:
Except, I decided it was too harsh, so I started to play with some Gelatos:
Oh goodness me, I don't like that at all. It's too messy, the handwriting just isn't right - so, I decided to cover it up with tissue paper and gel medium:
Oh my - what's a crafty girl to do?
I am determined to save this in some way and not completely waste all of the materials. So, time to hit the trimmer:
I end up with a nice rectangular packet of layered papers. I decided that I like the look of the edges coming up with the layering:
Then, I placed the piece on a background of white with the quote written smaller:
I decided to sew and layer some other pages behind the packet for added texture. But, I am not sure about the handwriting. It didn't work before, not sure why I think it will work now!
OK, this is better, a nice little computer print-out of the quote:
Time to embellish:


Brad added, Twine Tied, Ink Splattered:
I think I have tortured it enough, I shall call it finished:
This certainly is not my favorite layout, but it will do. I captured the quote and learned a few things along the way...
  • I may need to take a lettering class
  • A quote or sentence on a page could still use some sort of title to focus on
  • Baby wipes blend watercolor pencils very well!
  • Do not glue something down with glossy accents if you are not 100% sure
  • Lots of white space is out of my comfort zone - and, I am not sure I like it

Do you ever have to completely regroup while crafting? What are some of the best crafting "lessons" you have learned along the way?

22 comments:

  1. I think your layout turned out great! You are very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an absolutely stunning layout and I SO love watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved seeing your process, how it was not perfect, and how you made it work! Glad I'm not the only one....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's so cool to watch how you actually do your layouts--even if they turn out differently from how you first imagined. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! It looks cool either way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh! I love how you lead us through the process - so cool! TFS :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very creative. I loved watching your process unfold. I had a complete disaster once when I decided my completed layout looked too clean. So I messy painted it. Disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand where you are coming from. I love seeing the white space on other's layouts, but I'm not a huge fan of it on my own. But this really came out beautiful...love seeing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha! Oh can I relate to your dilemma with the layout! I love that you showed your creative process...too many times I think I'm the only one that ends up scrapping (as in throwing in the trash) my ideas until I'm happy with it. In the end your layout is just perfect. I love it. Love the ink splats and the slightly messy look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes...can I ever relate to this layout process. I trash many ideas. I love your end result. Nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these "work as you go " layouts...Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too, love that you shared the process... even the parts you didn't enjoy or like the look of. Personally, I think you were onto something with the larger letters. But isn't that how it usually goes? We all see things differently. Love the final layout too. I commend you and admire you for being so brave trying out so many techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the baby wipe trick! Never would have thought of that! I love how you made lemonade out of lemons. Although, I thought your original looked fine. But I love the end result, too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you salvaged your layout gone wrong. I thought the original was cool so I wasn't expecting such a drastic 180, but I love that you figured it out. I love the splashes of black on the final layout. Very dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is a great save!!
    And you know what, the original was working for me, too.
    But I love the simpler feel of the new one and I think it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the end result - great save!! I hardly ever actually trash a O but there are a few that I have called done and moved on from but definitely didn't come out the way I pictured in my head :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really love how the page ended up, and how great you thought to take pics along the way to tell the story. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my--- you seem to create just like me!!! And yes, white space is WAY out of my comfort zone. WAY OUT. I almost never leave any on my pages.

    Love, love, love your page. It looks fabulous!!! Truly a great job. I am your newest follower. Waiting to see what you do next :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following Anita! Great to have you :)

      Delete
  19. Thank you all for the sweet comments! And, thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for all the nice comments! You all make me smile!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...