Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Generations - Start to Finish

Most of you know how much fun I am having in May Flaum's Curious Scrapbooker's Field Guide and this past week has been no exception! Our focus is now on paint and well...paint is just plain fun! 

And you also know what a fan of Shimelle's I am. So, when Two Peas announced her new workshop, A Hitchhiker's Guide to Scrapbooking, I could not pass that up! At $25 it is an absolute steal with the amount of content included! As soon as I hit "complete purchase," I dove right into the lessons. 

Lesson One focuses on picking a set of supplies and how to coordinate with a photo while not getting too matchy matchy. Shimelle challenged all of us to pick a set of supplies and photograph them. And then to photograph the finished LO. It has been super fun to see everyone's before and afters. So, I pulled out my supplies and set out to combine these classes and do a layout with paint and mists...

Let's get started, shall we? I have a sweet photo here of my 95 year old grandmother following 2 of my girls that are holding hands with my dad. Such a sweet moment between the generations. I have pulled mostly MME The Bright Side with a bit of Amy Tan, Authentique and Jillibean Soup. Oh yes, and of course a good strong cup of coffee!
I love the chevron pattern in the MME paper and want to echo that with the paint treatment. I have a scrap piece of cardboard that I bent, now let's stamp some white...
All stamped up, it's time to mist! I am not sure how this will work out, so let's try this first with something subtle like "Clay."
Well, that IS subtle! I can't even see it, can you?
Ok, time to get bold with some "clover."
Ah yes, that is fun. After adding some blue, I test the placement of the photo:
Time to layer up with all those fun supplies I picked out! I really love those little people. I so want them to work on this. They just don't. Too distracting. Oh well, they will on something else!
More layering and stacking...
Now, I have things all tucked in and am liking the direction of this. Time to commit, sort of. I have found that if I tack a big stack of goodies down with my Tiny Attacher, they will stay in place enough to work with but can be moved if needed. Think: Dating exclusively, but not ready to get engaged...
After futzing with that for a bit, I am ready to get engaged! Off to the sewing machine:
Love the texture that adds:
While I am merely engaged to this arrangement, its time to play with some more little bits and get this wedding planned...
Border strips? Yes please.
Coming along...
And some washi? Yes, of course! That black may be too strong...
What if we layer some brown over it? ooooh, yes!
I tuck that in the corner there...
A little more there...
Some splattering...
OK, title time. I have had these blue glitter Thickers for a little too long. I won them in a class prize pack. I just have trouble with them. Let's see if I can get them to work here:
Well, maybe that's fun? I kind of like the sparkly against the rustic wood...
Pulls in some colors from the photo nicely...
Oh, goodness. That is just too...something...
What if I break out the paint again and tone down the shine?
Oh, YUCK! These will just not work. Back in the package they go and I hand them off to my daughter. She is thrilled!
Ah yes...better!
Time to get married! The sewing machine seals the deal and everything is stuck together for life!
Let's go on the Honeymoon now :) Time to tuck in some more little details. Border strips:
I like the way that echoes the pattern in the stitching:
Twine? Yes, but maybe not this twine:
Ah, yes. Better:
The Doodle Twine finds it's way around the bottom of the photo:
And in a little cluster at the top:
And the best part of the hooneymoon...Journaling and pen lines!
Ah yes, I see a long happy life on this page:
It was great fun combining my two classes to scrap this sweet photo. I love how classes get me out of my comfort zone and push me to work in new ways! Are you taking any classes? What do you love most about them? Let us know below and remember, It's never too late to join me in The Hitchhiker's Guide!!!

43 comments:

  1. Love, love, love the perspective of this photo! You did an amazing job with this layout. I really liked the step by step process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic layout! I love that you stamped with the piece of corrugated box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know how much in love with this layout I am? I can't begin to tell you that I want to get home and find a piece of cardboard to make that design on some paper. Totally in love! :)

    Hate that I'm at work and won't be able to play for at least 7 more hours. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome page! I love seeing everything fall in place and how other scrappers work...although I'd never be patient enough to take pics of MY process!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet layout. I love that photo, such a treasured memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This turned out great! I have to tell you when I first started reading, I thought your background really was wood and you were just testing out your stamp. And with that, you now know how silly I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved seeing the progress and it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet photo...and gorgeous layout as always. Sounds like a fun class too...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photo! I love seeing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no words. Oh wait, yeah I do. Holy crap! Your work is amazing. I just want to sit next to you and watch you make stuff. Not in a creepy stalker kind of way, just a fellow crafter in awe. You're phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. too funny :) I would love to scrap with you too!

      Delete
  11. Love the layout walk through! Such great tips and techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the tip on using the tiny attacher. Another great layout!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I've officially fallen in love with you! The chevron stamping, what an AWESOME idea! I'm still resisting stamping, even though I bought an acrylic block. I've always liked chevron stamps but just the idea of buying stamps turning me off. Now I can stamp chevron on my page!

    Thank you for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much! Can't wait to see your stamping :)

      Delete
  14. LOVE LOVE LOVE this page!!!! Thank you so very much for sharing your process (incl when something did not go the way you thought it would... that's especially a great thing to see!!!)

    Sylvia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia! I think the things that go wrong are just as important...that's how we craftsy people learn, right? :)

      Delete
  15. What a fun page! I love how you used the baker's twine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photo and I loved how you used that scrap cardboard to make a chevron stamp! Too cool! You do layering so much better than I do, I need to do your class before the other one! Love Penny Scrap-aholic@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this layout! Especially sweet photo! I'm working with the On the Bright Side collection now. Isn't it so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how you used the cardboard as a stamp -that is genius!! I am loving May's class, but not the fact that I don't have much time to craft this week. I'm hoping to watch the videos tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable work. What a great process share!! Thanks for stopping by on my blog today!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is awesome! Your layering is just perfect. And the paint chevrons are super cool. Thanks for sharing your steps. It makes me want to get crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. YES! SLAM DUNK!!!! I am SO GONNA STEAL THAT chevron idea! You are a GENIUS!!!!!! Seriously- that is cool. Great page- wait- I just saw the PHOTO- incredibly effective image! I am sooo glad I stumbled on your blog- I'm learning so much and you are truly fearless in your work- it's so freaking AWESOME to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are so funny. Thanks for your Sweet comments!!!!

      Delete
  22. Hi! I've just discovered your blog through a Big Picture Classes email, and love it!! I've been taking a look, and it's so inspiring!
    You're now in my Google Reader list :)
    A big hug from Spain,
    Mariangeles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by and adding me to your reader!

      Delete
  23. I'm dropping over from Blog Post from Big Picture Classes. Congrats on being featured! Love this layout, you are so talented! I've been strolling through previous posts and love the look of your layouts! Count me in as a follower!! I've taken photography classes from BP, but have yet to take a scrapbooking class. I think I'll be checking them out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and following!!!

      Delete
  24. What a sweet photo. Love how you created the background. I actually won a spot in Shimelle's class! I can't wait to get started. You've definitely inspired me to get going! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous page! That is an awesome photo. Love the image you captured. I am so looking forward to moving so that I have access to all my supplies again so that I can follow up on all the lessons from Shimelle's class. I couldn't resist it either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Brilliant use of the bent cardboard - fantastic page. Love seeing your process. I could read this blog all day long!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Saw it in the HGS class forum but- yep- still adore it. Amazing LO!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. AMAZING layout! I so love how you document each and every detail, every step of the way! What a fabulous way to "show your chevron." :) Love the way you created the chevron pattern with the cardboard corner and paint! Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ummm You are BRILLIANT!!!!!
    I absolutely need to find a piece of cardboard to bend and have on hand for my own chevron love. Your layout is so fabulous!! Loving how you laid out your step by step!! Rock on oh clever one!! :) :) :) OH.. and thanks for linking up with us at Paper Issues!!
    hugs, Leah

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, wow and wow! This is completely brilliant! Thanks so much for including step by step photos! I love seeing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awesome page, inspiring on so many levels, and thanks heaps for the step by step, breaking it down like that makes it much more real and helps tease out all the different elements.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...