Thursday, February 16, 2012

Album Continuity

I am a relatively new scrapper and not too long ago, if I had heard someone talk of continuity and album organization, I would have thought such things to be so silly. In fact, I even watched one of Shimelle's True Scrap videos recently: Creating Album Flow. At the time of first viewing, I thought I would never be the scrapper who had a gigantic stack of layouts in a pile, not tucked away in their rightful place. HA! Well, now that IS me and I am taking it upon myself to put all these layouts in their homes and examine my albums for this once foreign concept of continuity. Won't you come along?


Ah yes, here we are. It is late at night and I gather some of the layouts waiting for their home. Kiddos are sleeping. Hubby is at work. Just me, my layouts and my post-it notes...


Oh yes, and some brand new page protectors!
I have all of my working albums waiting patiently on the sidelines. In the mix: A baby album, 1 album for each child, a family album and an album just for me. I have seen it discussed on various threads that scrappers tend to have a favorite color and do all or most of their albums the same. I like this idea, however I love all the choices and colors available too much to settle on just one, so I mix it up!
Aren't they so pretty?
Alrighty - lets get to it! And, oh goodness, I quickly learn some of the reasons NOT to wait too long before getting those layouts protected - letter loss! Luckily, I find another "p."
Also, I learn that fringe puts up a good fight when going into it's protector.
I am making progress, all the layouts are down. Look at those clips, just waiting to be filled back up!
As I find a home for each layout, I begin taking notes and considering the continuity. I don't scrap chronologically, but obviously pages are filed that way. Shimelle addresses this in her video. In some ways this is great because I won't end up with 5 pages in a row that are using the same products and techniques. On the other hand, when pages were created at very different times, there is a chance of loosing the continuity. I do like that it shows my progression of style. After all, isn't that one of the joys of creating? In the photo below you can see this example plain as day! But, I am going with it as I enjoy seeing how my style has developed.
Here is another example of that. But, its interesting to me that the colors seem to hold the continuity even though the style clearly doesn't. Works for me!
Oh, and how about this? One of my favorite pages on the left right next to a ridiculously themed page where I clearly lost all sense of sanity in the sticker isle! But, you know what? I made them both and it reminds me of what makes me smile and what I might not want to revisit. So, on that note - let's move on...
Well, now we have a gap - as in 1 less layout than needed. So, I quickly make a note that I need another page for this daughter's book around this time period. This one is first on my list - see how the backside showing is upside down? LOL!
I love the look of a fuller album - just look at all the memories packed in there! Happiness.
And here is yet another example of the completely different styles side by side. But , the colors hold the continuity and its working for me!
And yet again...
Alright, kiddos are done. Let's move on to the family album. I use this one for anything that has multiple kiddos featured, or anything that is of hubby.
Cover page settled in...
Now, here is a spread that really makes me smile! Two pages that I love and that feel very much my style. Right next to each other. Hooray for that kind of continuity. I will strive for more of that!
See the layout below on the right? That was during a stash-busting spree where I took tons of old outdated papers and altered them with paint. I don't love it and it is not really a style I repeat. I seriously considered redoing this page. But, it is part of my creative journey...so, it shall stay! And, I am thinking the white backgrounds on both holds the continuity just fine. Onward we go...
Here's an interesting spread. I really like both of these layouts. However, the one on the right is totally not "me." I did that LO during a period of trying lots of different techniques in order to find my style and groove. The one on the left has to be a favorite. Interesting, the continuity holds through the pink and the circular elements. Hoorah!
And lastly, my album. I started this album to house random things. Things that only have to do with me, or from before hubby and I were married, or just fun things I want to try. Keeping that in mind as we go, I am expecting this one to lack the most in terms of the continuity factor.
Pretty cover page :)
And, look here - I better get my post-its ready, this spread needs some help. I love the idea of different sizes in an album, but this is a bit jarring. We are getting glimpses of 3 totally different styles and layouts. Let's make a note of perhaps a 6x12 transition page here.
Once that is turned, things match. Perhaps too much. That is the same collection. Time to make another note that I need 2 more 12x12 layouts here to add another page to turn.
Now here is the same sort of situation, but I like this spread:
However, once the 8 1/2 x 11 is flipped, the drastic change in color seems a bit jarring. Noted: need another 6x12 transition page.
And with that last notation, I am finished! My notes are made and I am ready to start filling in the gaps. It feels good. I enjoyed thumbing through all of my little creations. I smile knowing they are filed, protected, and ready for viewing. I love seeing the process of finding my style throughout my pages. And, I love knowing there will always be more - more stories, more creating, and more organizing.


How do you organize your albums? What do you love most about looking through your pages? I would love to hear from you!

32 comments:

  1. I was shocked to read you are a relatively new scrapper. Your pages amazing. I also have a stack of finished pages waiting to go in albums. As always I enjoyed watching your process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - if you haven't been scrapping long, you sure have been productive since you started. You have a lovely collection of pages. I love the AC D-ring albums. I use them too. I do not keep my albums in chrono order so I can arrange my pages however I want! I never much worried about what pages are next to each other. But it was fun to see what you are doing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have 6 categories of albums - my oldest son, his school album, my younger son, his school album, our family album where i put holiday, vacation in chronological order, and then my scrap projects that i make for my deign team work that really doesn't fit into these albums. I have to say I really don't think about it too much. My kids look at the albums and they get tossed around etc. That is why I made them for everyone to enjoy! My family album is always out on display and friends and family are constantly looking at them etc. I use the 3 ring binder systems so that i can remove or add pages quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are my organizing hero! I have piles of layouts that i need to put away, but it totally stresses me out so I just ignore it! I obviously need a new method.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the peek at your albums! I also watched Shimelle's video and just this week have done a major re-organizing of my albums, tightening up the flow and making notes about the pages I want to add. I love seeing themes that have emerged over time, and really reading through the albums to catch the slice of life I've been creating! It's been a very inspiring exercise. Now, back to scrapping, and in a few years, I'll probably do it all again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome!! I saw lots of Shimelle influence in there {me too}!!!:):) I saw you had a band around the albums~does that come with your album or can it be purchased seprately? Never seen those but love to get some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie! Those bands are made by Russell and Hazel and I purchased them at Two Peas. Aren't they cool?!?

      Delete
  7. There are some great ideas in here. I'm so bad about getting things in chronological order. I always date things which helps. My plan for this summer is to go through my pictures on my computer and see which ones I've scrapped and which ones I haven't. I'm going to print the ones out I haven't used yet and make a pile. as I get them done, I'm going to start organizing albums. I was really goo about scrapping during my sons first year but after that its just a mess. I threw them in page protectors just to get them put away and they're all out of order. I do use a different album color for each subject. I can't wait to get them in some kind of order.

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a chronological scrapper for the most part - but now I print about 6 months of pics at a time and I scrap whatever I feel like from that lot. I also put them in albums that way. I used to do a ton of 2 page spreads so that I never had to worry about 2 layouts clashing. Now I just wing it. What is most funny to me is when I do a new page from a late 90s photo and put it in my album for that time period which was my very first album- all old school Creative Memories. Very interesting and amazing to see the huge change

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cool post - lots of fabulous layouts - and this is the first time I've been to your blog and just wanted to let you know I adore your blog header title and will be back to visit often!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how I get this post!!! I have that stack of layouts that need homes and mine are going to look like yours with different styles, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you getting layouts put away! I need too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a good job done! Now to fill up that wall again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. (hanging my head in shame) I have stacks!!! And we just moved less than a year ago!!! You have definitely inspired me to get my layouts organized! Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all your layouts and I must admit that I have a stack of layouts not in albums and a pretty big stack at that. Thanks for the added push to get them in there albums... Hugs and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why have I not been following your blog before?!?!? I totally love your style and am enamored by your writing in your posts. I can't wait to dive into more as I have added you into my Google Reader! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind word Jennifer! Glad to have you :)

      Delete
  16. I'm a bit like you...I have stacks and then i place them and try to notate what clashes or needs something added. I place my layouts in my albums chronologically but I scrap at random. Sometimes I have to switch up page placement (when adding new layouts) in order for things to flow...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think organizing is the hardest thing to do in this hobby! Good for you for getting everything put away and organized!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! You have some beautiful layouts! Organizing albums is hard for me, I still haven't decided on exactly how I will organize all of them in the end, but yours have inspired me to look again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't put pages in albums for the longest time - UGH! i've got them in stacks of 12 x 12" boxes...definitely need to change that! LOL!! You have some beautiful pages btw!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great layouts.
    I need to do double page layouts. Just something I have always done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My layouts (and albums) are created and stored in a totally random fashion. I don't really mind that pages don't match in color, design, or theme. I just like to keep them in binders so they are protected and can hopefully 'withstand the sands of time' :) I love your walk through...very insightful. :) Thank you always for the kind comments you leave on my blog. Have a wonderful day!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an interesting post! :) I always scrapped chronologically, for the most part. Now I'm doing Project Life as my main scrapbooking, one album for the whole family. I needed to simplify. Your layouts are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. New scrapper? Wow, you've done a lot and beautiful work too. Such an interesting post. I'm afraid I have nothing to add. Many of my pages are stacked in iris boxes waiting for a home. ...

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's amazing how much your style has progressed over... I don't know how long? Well I'm assuming the style I like is your current style, not the other way around... just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! yes, it has progressed - in a positive direction :) I started putting things in albums last summer, but just used papers I had or that friends had thrown my way. Literally smacking photos on a page with a title. Nothing more. When I started realizing what a creative outlet it was, I started exploring the scrapbooking world and realized that there weren't any "rules" and that I could really have some fun! It has been a great journey!

      Delete
  25. Fairly new blog yet look at the community you have created! This response is awesome. I must admit I have never thought about page continuity. My scrap style changes with the weather- one day I'll do an all pink girly page and then the next two weeks I'm doing some crazy graffiti thing that only I like. I keep my finished pages in boxes since many have pop dots and dimensional elements I can't store in sleeves. This year will be my first time caring about chronological order with Project 365 and even there I'm cheating by just putting images I took that week and adding dates according to what I remember at the end of the week. :0 Whatever works for you is what matters. There are so many gorgeous pages on this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you all for your wonderful comments! I love hearing the different ways in which you all approach your pages!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi! I am very behind and just starting Prompt #1 of Shimelle's Cover to Cover class, so I came here from your post on that thread.

    First, I must say that your pages are wonderful!

    Thanks for all the effort you put into this post. It was really interesting to read and a big help as I organize my thought about this class and Prompt 1's homework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much LadyDoc! Look forward to getting to know you in class :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...